About Me

My photo
Merry Meet and Welcome! I have created RavensWing’s Musings as a place to blog about my life, my spiritual path and how I balance the mundane with the mystical. From holding down a day job to working passionately on RavensWing, my business that feeds my soul. Here you will find my musings on ritual and spiritual ideas, as well as reviews on ritual products that RavensWing carries As well as the occasional blurb on issues that are near and dear to my heart. So with that said, come join me around the fire…..there is plenty of room... Blessed Be!

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Witchcraft, Taxes and Fraud...Oh my!




Blessings all,


I read a very interesting article today from the Associated Press regarding Romania declaring Witchcraft as a legal Profession.  Please feel free to read the link below.


I read this article and had myself a chuckle. Superstition  runs deep in the old country of Romania, steeped with dark myths of Vampires and the Curse of the Gypsy Witch.  At first being a witch myself you might think I was raising my glass and shouting  "Hail to all the Witches!" . That finally Witches and Fortune tellers were being recognized as a legit business and part of mainstream society. With Witchcraft being declared a legal profession would stop the prosecution of witches and begin a spread of new tolerance and acceptance.

Sadly no, this is not what this is about. The core issue is money.  The Government has been unable to pass the Witches and Fortune tellers Tax for fear of retaliation of the witches’ curse. Many well-known and powerful Gypsy Witches have stood up and threated to curse any who passes this law and the law makers’ tremble in fear and the law gets booted.  The reason behind this new declaration is that Witches have been well known to under report their income and not paying taxes.

At first you might think, that a fortune teller may not make much of an income. For some yes, and others their income is more than government officials. Partly because for the longest time Fortune Tellers and Witches are allowed to run TV ads on Romanian TV promoting their business. But yet they pay no tax, licence or fees. When the local government put a ban on fortune tellers broadcasting the Gypsy community was in an uproar and they wanted retaliation. For this act would cut into their yearly income big time.


I had a change to watch a documentary following the life on one particular Romanian Gypsy Witch and Fortune teller and I was amazed how she lured her clients in on the first consultation with the stand by “Someone has cursed you” and this is the reason the client is suffering from bad luck. The Fortune teller then gives her a ritual to break the curse, for a sum of $350.00 which in my opinion is overcharging for her work. 

What do you get for this money?  A small ritual that is prepared for you by the Witch, and in turn the client must do the ritual on her own and come back to see the witch 8 MORE TIMES to make sure the curse has been broken.  And you can bet the Client is paying for all her visits not to mentions she has to foot the bill for the ritual supplies and give them to the witch to prepare.

So when I read this article today I thought well done, it is about time they were being held responsible for their practices, but then again there will always be those that will look for a quick fix and pay the price. I would like to say that this type of business practice is not just in Romania but wide spread throughout the world.

I would like to note that I am a card reader, and am willing to do ritual work for and with people however I do have my own code of ethics which I follow, in this case of the young woman who got sucked in by the repeat visits was all based on fear, passed on to the client by the Witch. This is my Book of Shadows is wrong, and in the end Karma always finds you. 




I would love to know your thoughts on this subject.
Blessings to you all,

Rayven












3 comments:

  1. But is the fault with the Witch or with the stupid woman who went to the witch. Should people that dumb not be taken out of the gene pool?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could say that Darkiss, she was a bit naive in her decision to keep going back. The documentary did follow up with the young girl and nothing had really changed for her. She was still looking for work, and her boyfriend had not come back and she was still going back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PT Barnum nailed it: "There's a sucker born every minute." The reason these lowlifes keep committing the fraud is because it makes them money! How many people pay for tickets to go see Sylvia Brown on her tours?? Charlatans are everywhere. It's up to the rest of us to fight back by working in an ethical manner, and supporting other Pagan healers who do the same.

    ReplyDelete