There is something to be said about the Ancient Runes, the
mystery and magic that surrounds these ancient symbols that have captivated
those of us stuck in the modern world.
Is it the need to feel a deep connection to our past, or our need to be
connected to something bigger than us?
Today we see the set of 24 Runes knows as the The Elder
Futhark. The word “futhark” is like
“Alphabet” and it is actually the first 7 letters in the Runic Sequence. For some reason this little interesting
tidbit brings a smile to my face as I imagine Odin standing around tired after
9 days hanging upside down from Yggdrasil and has he shares the wisdom that he
gained some asked “What are they called”? To tired to think he just reads off
the first 7 letters lol
From the beginning, the Runes were part of rituals, serving
as the casting of lots, for divination, and to help invoke the Gods that could
influence people’s lives for better or for worse. The craft of Runes touched every aspect of
life, from the most sacred to the most practical. There were rune spells to
influence the weather, the crops, love, wealth, travel, battle and much
more. They were also used for blessings
and curses. Runes were carved on amulets, drinking cups, swords and even on the
Viking ships themselves. Fast forward a hundreds of years and the Runic
language is alive and well in the 20th century.
The runes have always fascinated me yet eluded me for a long
time. I felt as if they were complicated beyond me something so simple but yet
complicated at the same time. So I decided to learn to cast the stones. I started with a book there are many on the
market but my favorite to date is “The New Book of Runes” by Ralph Blum. This book has been around for years and I
have been blessed with three copies, all given to me by very special people.
It is one that I highly recommend for beginners.
Rune sets come in many different types of materials and I
have seen some very creative ways of creating runes, from sea shells, acorns,
pieces of twigs but to this day I prefer either stone or wood runes. So it is purely personal choice as to which
type of Rune set you want. With that
said, there is great joy in creating your own stones. I have recently made a
set of runes form beautiful pieces of colored glass. I spent quiet time as I
created each one and making sure I held the intention as I painted the symbols
on to the surface of the glass. This is
a great way to infuse your runes with your own energy by creating your own.
I cast the runes on a regular basis and they never fail
to give me some insight on what happening in my life at any given time. Robert Blum describes the runes as follows:
“The
Runes are described here are healing, merciful Runes; they will do you know
harm. Learn their language and let them speak to you. Play with the possibility
that they can provide ‘a mirror for the magic of knowing ourselves’ a means of
communication with the knowledge of our subconscious minds”
How true this description is, for when picking up the runes
you are consulting an Oracle rather than having your fortune told. The runes are the gateway to becoming…
So will you cast the runes?
Blessed Be,
Rayven
Robert Blum's book is available on amazon here : The New Book of Runes by Robert Blum


ok I love love love this blog post! Thank you so much! I am fascinated by Runes and I am going to get the book you suggested! thank you!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you Mindy! You will love the book and you will be amazed how much insight the Runes can give you. Blessings to you! ~ Kat
ReplyDelete